Understand Your Eligibility
Employees who are employed at 20 hours per week (.50 FTE) or more for a period of twenty (20) weeks or longer within a fiscal year are required to participate in and contribute to an eligible retirement program.
Fully Benefits Eligible: Employees who are employed at 20 hours per week (.50 FTE) or greater and in a position that is six months or more in duration are eligible for full benefits:
Limited Benefits Eligible: To comply with the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, the Arizona Department of Administration has made any employee regularly scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week (.50 FTE) in a position that is at least 90 days in duration but less than six months eligible for the following limited benefits:
Employees with limited benefits do not accrue vacation leave or sick leave, and are not eligible for Paid Parental Leave or QTR.
Frequently Asked Questions about Limited Benefits
You may cover the following dependents on your insurance plan(s). Documentation may be required to verify a dependent's eligibility and to determine his/her tax status:
- Your spouse or domestic partner
- Your or your domestic partner's natural, adopted, or step child(ren) who meet one of the following criteria: (a) is under the age of 26; or (b) was disabled before age 19
- Child(ren) placed in your or your domestic partner's guardianship pending adoption
- Your or your domestic partner's foster child(ren) under the age of 26
- Child(ren) under the age of 26 for whom you or your domestic partner have court-ordered guardianship
Information for employees with domestic partners:
Learn Your Benefits Options
1. Review the Benefits Packet you will receive from your hiring department.
Here are key points:
- You have 31 days from the date of hire or date of new benefits eligibility to enroll in voluntary benefit plans. If you do not enroll in this period, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment window.
- The Arizona Department of Administration provides benefits to all state employees. It offers choices for health (medical, dental, vision), life and long-term disability insurance. Click here for the comprehensive State Employees Benefit Guide.
- The University of Arizona also provides some benefits programs. It offers health (medical, dental, vision) insurance to employees enrolling domestic partners, as well as supplemental life and short-term disability insurance plans to all employees.
- Classified Staff must enroll in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS).
- Appointed Personnel have an irrevocable choice of the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) or ASRS (default plan).
- All Retirement-Eligible Employees may contribute to voluntary Supplemental Retirement Plans.
2. Please review the Online Benefits Orientation (PDF) before attending an in-person Benefits Orientation.
3. Work with your department business manager to register for New Employee Orientation within the first week of employment. There are several components of New Employee Orientation. Click here for a list of New Employee Orientation Programs.
Make Your Benefits Elections and Complete Your Enrollment
Click here for Benefits Enrollment Instructions in UAccess Employee
- You have 31 days from the date of hire or date of new benefits eligibility to enroll in voluntary benefit plans. If you do not enroll in this time, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment window.
- If you are eligible to enroll in the Optional Retirement Plan (appointed personnel), you must make a retirement election within 30 days of hire. If you do not, you are automatically enrolled in the Arizona State Retirement System. Your retirement election is irrevocable.