The University of Arizona logo

2018 Benefits Open Enrollment

BEGINS: October 30, 2017, at 8:00 a.m.
ENDS: November 17, 2017, at 5:00 p.m.


You may enroll in, cancel, or change your coverage elections for the medical, dental, vision, supplemental life, short-term disability, and flexible spending account plans during Open Enrollment.

Changes will be effective January 1, 2018 for the January 1–December 31, 2018, plan year.

To Continue or Change Benefits

You will be able to complete enrollment in UAccess beginning on October 30, 2017, at 8:00 a.m.


Before You Enroll

Review Your Current Benefit Elections: Log in to UAccess Employee/Manager Self Service. Select UA Employee Main Homepage > Benefits tile > Benefits Summary.

You will need the following information in order to enroll:

  • Social Security Numbers for new dependents you are adding to your coverage
  • Birth dates for new dependents you are adding to your coverage

Benefits Information

Click on this image for summary descriptions of all your benefits options, including ADOA and UA benefits. 

The UA augments ADOA benefits by offering the following: 

 Click on this image for the 2018 Benefits Enrollment Guide, outlining the benefits offered by ADOA. Some information may not apply to UA employees.

 These charts provide a comparison of medical plans and a comparison of dental plans.



    Benefit Updates and Changes for 2018

    Employee premiums for the EPO, PPO, HSA, and UA Alternative Health Plans are increasing in 2018.
    Due to rising healthcare costs over the past decade, the State of Arizona is raising premiums for the first time since 2011. The University of Arizona will continue to pay 90% of the total premiums for employees. Most employees will see a $6.00–$12.00 increase in deductions per paycheck.

    2018 Spring Semester premiums for 9-month academic employees: For employees who are paid over nine months, Human Resources precollects in the Spring Semester the cost of benefits deductions during the summer months.This chart shows how your benefit deductions will increase in the Spring 2018 semester compared to Fall 2018.

    Good News! Routine preventive services will be free in 2018!

    This means no copays for immunizations, mammograms, colonoscopies, and other screenings. Also, breast pumps and breast-feeding support will be free beginning in 2018. For a complete list of the preventive services that will be covered in 2018, click on the icon.

    Preventive prescriptions are also free. Click the link to see the list.



    More Good News! Supplemental Life Insurance rates with The Hartford are going down in 2018.

    You can elect Supplemental Life Insurance with either or both The Hartford and Aetna. For a comparison of plans and rates, click on the icon.


    Use this calculator to determine your monthly premium.

    Cigna Dental Care HMO will replace Total Dental Administrators as the pre-paid dental provider offered by the State of Arizona.

    The new Cigna plan has slightly reduced rates and lower copays than TDA for some services. It also offers nationwide coverage.

    For a schedule of benefits and coverage under the Cigna Dental Care HMO plan, click the icon.

    To search for a provider with Cigna, visit and select Cigna Dental Care HMO.

    Delta Dental will remain the PPO dental carrier offered by the State of Arizona. 

    For UA Alternative Health Plans (Domestic Partners Only): 

    • Total Dental Administrators and Delta Dental will remain as the dental carriers.
    • The summary of benefits and coverage for the medical plan is available here.

    Copays for medical and prescription services are changing for the EPO, PPO, HSAO, and UA Alternative Health Plans in 2018. 


    EPO & PPO Medical Copay Changes
    Service 2017 2018
    Routine Preventive Health Care $15 $0
    Office Visit
     - Primary Care Physician (PCP) $15 $20
     - Doctor on Demand (telehealth) $15 $20
     - Mental Health Provider $15 $20
     - OB/GYN $10 $20
     - Chiropractor $15 $40
     - Therapist (occupational, physical, respiratory, speech) $15 $40
     - Other Specialist $30 $40
    Hospital & Outpatient Services
     - Urgent Care $40 $75
     - Emergency Room $125 $200
     - Radiology (CAT, MRI, PET) $0 $100
     - Outpatient Surgery $50 $100
     - Inpatient Hospital Admission (not applicable for maternity) $150 $250
    EPO & PPO Prescription Drug Copay Changes
    Quantity Generic Preferred Brand Name Non-Preferred Brand Name
      2017 2018 2017 2018 2017 2018
    Retail 30 Days $10 $15 $20 $40 $40 $60
    Retail 90 Days $25 $37.50 $20 $100 $100 $150
    Mail Order 90 Days $20 $30 $40 $80 $80 $120


    UA Alternative Plan (Domestic Partners) Medical Copay Changes
    Service 2017 2018
    Routine Preventive Health Care $0 $0
    Office Visit
     - Primary Care Physician (PCP) $15 $20
     - Therapist (occupational, physical, respiratory, speech) $15 $20
     - Chiropractor $15 $20
     - Other Specialist $30 $40
    Hospital & Outpatient Services
     - Urgent Care $40 $75
     - Emergency Room $125 $200
     - Radiology (CAT, MRI, PET) $0 $100
     - Outpatient Services $0 $50
     - Inpatient Hospital Services $0 $250
    UA Alternative Plan (Domestic Partners) Prescription Drug Copay Changes
    Quantity Generic Preferred Brand Name Non-Preferred Brand Name
      2017 2018 2017 2018 2017 2018
    Retail 30 Days $10 $10 $20 $35 $40 $60
    Retail 90 Days N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
    Mail Order 90 Days $25 $25 $50 $87.50 $100 $150

    The maximum amount you can contribute to the Healthcare Flexible Spending Account Plan is increasing from $2,550 to $2,600 in 2018.

    Contributing to a Healthcare Flexible Spending Account can help offset increased copay costs. You can have money deducted pre-tax from your paycheck and placed in an account you can use throughout the calendar year to pay for qualified out-of-pocket medical expenses. Because the money is deducted pre-tax, your taxable income is reduced.

    You can also create a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account to set aside money pre-tax to pay for dependent care expenses (such as daycare).

    More information on the Flexible Spending Accounts and how they work is on the Human Resources website.

    For Help & to Find Out More

    Benefit Expo

    Representatives from the Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA), UA Division of Human Resources, and health plan vendors will be available to answer questions about the Medical, Dental, and Vision plans; Short-term Disability Insurances; Life Insurances; and Flexible Spending Accounts. You can also get your flu shot!

    Thursday, November 2, 2017, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.

    University of Arizona
    1400 E. 6th St., Tucson, AZ 85721
    MAC Gym

    Benefits Expos are also held in Phoenix and throughout Arizona. For a list of dates and locations, click here.

    UA Campus Resource Expo

    Representatives from the UA Division of Human Resources and select vendors will be at the Campus Resource Expo:

    Friday, November 3, 2017, 11 a.m.–1 p.m.

    Student Union Memorial Center, South Ballroom

    Ready to Enroll 

    Visit UAccess and log in to Employee/Manager Self Service. Select the Benefits Open Enrollment tile on the UA Employee Main Home Page. Click the icon for step-by-step enrollment instructions

    You may go back to your enrollment as many times as you wish until 5:00 p.m. on November 17. You may click "Submit" once to save your changes, but your changes will not process until you click "Submit" twice to confirm your elections.

    PLEASE NOTE: You must click "Submit" twice at the end of the enrollment process for your enrollment to process. 

    Please print or save your confirmation statement at the end of the enrollment process and review your paycheck on January 5, 2018, to ensure that your elections are correct.

    Enrollment Assistance

    For assistance with enrollment, computers and staff are available at the following locations:

    Division of Human Resources, University Services Building
    888 N. Euclid Ave., Ste.114
    Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

    University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS), Human Resources Office
    1451 N. Warren Ave., Ste. 100
    Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.


      Information for Retirees

      The Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) manages the benefits programs for University of Arizona retirees. Click on the icon to the left for the 2018 Benefits Enrollment Guide. If you are a UA retiree with questions, please contact

      Frequently Asked Questions


      General Information

      What is Open Enrollment?

      Open Enrollment is the period each year when benefits-eligible employees and retirees may update or change their benefit elections for medical, dental, or vision insurance; flexible spending and health savings accounts; short-term disability; and life insurance. This is the one time during the year when you may make changes without having a qualified life event (that is, change in family situation).

      When is the Open Enrollment window?

      BEGINS: October 30, 2017, 8. a.m.

      ENDS: November 17, 2017, 5:00 p.m. 

      Can I make changes to my benefits other than during this Open Enrollment period?

      Outside of Open Enrollment (10/30/17–11/17/17), you generally can only make changes to your elections if you experience a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, or birth of a child.

      What changes can I make during Open Enrollment?

      You may change your voluntary benefit plan elections, add or remove benefits, remove or add dependents, and increase or decrease supplemental life insurance. Please note that you may not change your mandatory retirement plan election, although you may elect a voluntary 403(b) or 457 supplemental retirement plan in order to increase your retirement savings.

      When will my enrollment elections take effect?

      All selections made during Open Enrollment will be effective on January 1, 2018.

      My coworkers received Open Enrollment email reminders, but I did not get any. How can I make sure I receive all Open Enrollment communications?

      The Division of Human Resources sends all communications to your official UA email address. Please make sure your correct email address is listed in UAccess so that we will be able to reach you with information on Open Enrollment and anything else that affects your benefits. We also suggest you verify your mailing address is correct in the system.

      I’m happy with my elections from last year and do not plan to add new dependents. Do I need to take action during Open Enrollment?

      YES! This year is a positive Open Enrollment, which means that all employees MUST re-enroll if they want their current benefits elections to carry over into 2018. 

      I just started employment with the UA and I completed my benefits enrollment after Open Enrollment started. Do I have to participate in Open Enrollment?

      YES! You must re-enroll during Open Enrollment in order for your benefits to continue in 2018.

      Information about Benefits Plans & ID Cards

      How can I view my current benefits?

      To view your benefits, visit UAccess and select Employee/Manager Self Service. Log in with your UA NetID and password.  Make sure you are on the UA Employee Main Home Page (you can select this from the drop-down menu at the top of the page). Select the Benefits tile > Benefits Summary to see your current enrollments.

      Where can I find information on the benefits plans available to me?

      Please visit the Division of Human Resources website for plan documents, provider searches, premium calculators and more. You may also review the 2018 Benefit Guide.

      I am having difficulty deciding which benefit plans to choose. Can you help?

      The Human Resources Solutions team can answer questions, provide additional information, and assist with navigating our website and UAccess. Please email or call (520) 621-3660 for assistance. You may also attend a Benefits Expo to speak to vendor representatives. For Benefits Expo dates and locations,see above.

      Will I receive new ID cards after Open Enrollment?

      That depends.Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, and Aetna are planning to send new cards to all members. United Healthcare, Delta Dental, and Avesis will send ID cards only to new enrollees.

      Medical, Dental, & Vision Plans

      What are the differences among the EPO, PPO, and HSAO medical plans?

      EPO: As long as you go to a provider in the network you select, you will pay only copayments. Out-of-network services are covered only in emergency situations.    

      PPO: The premium rates are higher than the EPO or HSAO, but you are able to see both in-network and out-of-network providers. The out-of-network costs are higher. There are also both in-network and out-of-network deductibles that must be met.  

      HSAO: This is a high-deductible plan with low premiums but unpredictable out-of-pocket costs. In-network preventive care services are covered at 100%, but the annual deductible must be met before other services are covered. There are no copays and you can see providers in or out of network. The HSAO is paired with a Health Savings Account (HSA)—a special type of savings account to which you make tax-free contributions, and the funds can be used for eligible health-care expenses. You may set up contributions through payroll deduction, and the University also contributes $60 per month for employee-only coverage and $120 a month for family coverage.

      How do I know if my provider is in-network?

      What is the difference between the Cigna Dental Care HMO plan and the Delta Dental plan?

      The Delta Dental PPO Plan allows you to see any licensed dentist; however, the cost is lower for in-network dentists. The annual maximum benefit for a plan year is $2,000 per person.

      The Cigna Dental Care HMO requires you to select a primary in-network dentist. This plan does not have an annual maximum benefit for the plan year.

      Can I see any vision provider?

      In order to take full advantage of your vision insurance, you will want to stay in the Avesis network; however, Avesis does offer reimbursement for qualifying expenses at non-network providers. 

      Flexible Spending Accounts - General Information

      How much will I save in taxes each year by participating in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

      Use the ASIFlex Tax Savings Calculator to estimate your tax savings from enrolling in an FSA.

      What are the 2018 contribution limits for the Health-Care and Dependent-Care Flexible Spending Accounts?

      For 2018, the Health-Care FSA individual maximum is $2,600.

      The Dependent-Care FSA maximum is $5,000 per family, per plan year; $2,500 if the employee is married but filing separately.

      Can I participate in the FSA plans if I am enrolled in the Health Savings Account Option (HSAO)?

      If you are enrolled in the Health Savings Account Option for your medical plan, you may enroll in the Limited Health-Care FSA and the Dependent-Care FSA. You are not eligible for the regular health-care FSA because you have a health savings account.

      Heath Savings Account (HSA) versus Health-Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

      What are the differences between the Health Savings Account (HSA) and the Health-Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)?

      Both an HSA and an FSA allow employees with health insurance to set aside money for certain health-care costs referred to as “qualified expenses.” These include deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, and monthly prescription costs.

      HSAs are only available to employees enrolled in the HSAO high-deductible health plan with Aetna.

        Health Savings Account (HSA) Health-Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
      Eligibility Requirements To be eligible, you must have a high-deductible health plan (HSAO). There are no eligibility requirements.
      Contribution Limit For 2018, contributions are capped at $3,450 for individuals or $6,900 for families. For 2018, contributions are capped at $2,600.
      Changing contribution amounts You can change how much you contribute to the account at any point during the year. You can adjust your contribution amount only during Open Enrollment or with a change in employment or family status.
      Rollover Unused balances roll over into the next year. You can roll over only $500 to the next plan year. You forfeit any unused balance above that amount.
      Connection to Employer Your HSA can follow you as you change employment. FSA continuation is only through COBRA.
      Effect on Taxes Contributions are tax-deductible, and are taken out of your paycheck pretax. Growth and distributions are tax-free Contributions are pretax, and distributions are untaxed.
      UA Contribution The employer contribution is $60.00 for employee only or $120.00 for family each month There is no employer contribution toward the Health-Care FSA


      What expenses are eligible for reimbursement using my HSA or Health-Care FSA?

      You can use your HSA or FSA to pay for a wide range of IRS-qualified medical expenses for yourself, your spouse, or your tax dependents. Generally, an IRS-qualified medical expense is limited to health-care services, equipment, or medications as defined under Section 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code. These include medical (doctor visits, laboratory tests, medical equipment, hospital services), dental (non-cosmetic dental treatments), vision (eye doctor appointments and vision correction materials); and prescription (prescriptions plus any prescribed over-the-counter medications) expenses.

      Purchases merely beneficial to general health or for cosmetic reasons are not qualified (such as cosmetic surgery, deodorant, fitness programs, teeth whitening). 

      You can find information on qualified medical expenses in IRS Publication 502:

      Health Savings Account (HSA) and Limited Health-Care FSA

      Am I eligible to enroll in the HSA?

      To be eligible to contribute to an HSA you cannot be enrolled in Medicare, cannot be covered by any non-HSA-qualified health plan and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.

      Does the University contribute anything toward my HSA?


      Employee only: $60 per month

      Family: $120 per month

      What are the 2018 contribution limits (includes contributions from employee and employer) for the HSA?

      2018 Annual Maximum Contributions Allowed by IRS (Employee & Employer) Monthly Maximum Contribution (Annual Maximum / 12) Employer Contributions
        Under age 55 Age 55 and older Under age 55 Age 55 and older per month
      Single $3,450.00 $4,450.00 $287.50 $370.83 $60.00
      Family $6,900.00 $7,900.00 $575.00 $658.33 $120.00


      What is the Limited Health-Care FSA?

      The Limited Health-Care FSA is optional for employees enrolled in the Health Savings Account Option (HSAO). It can be used to pay for qualified dental, vision, and out-of-network preventive care expenses only. Preventive care includes periodic health evaluations (including tests and diagnostic procedures ordered in connection with routine exams), routine prenatal and well-child care, immunizations, tobacco cessation programs, obesity weight-loss programs, certain screening services, and prescriptions that are preventive in nature. Medical expenses other than preventive care are not eligible for reimbursement with the Limited Health Care FSA. Please contact the Arizona Department of Administration at (800) 304-3687 for more detail on what services are defined as preventive.

      Dependent-Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

      What expenses can I pay for using my Dependent-Care FSA?

      You can use the Dependent-Care Flexible Spending Account to pay for child-care or adult dependent-care expenses that are necessary to allow you or your spouse to work or attend school full-time. You can also use it while you or your spouse look for work; however,you cannot use it if you (or your spouse) are not employed or actively seeking employment and have no earned income for the year. You cannot use the Dependent-Care FSA to pay for medical care for your dependents.

      Who is a qualifying dependent under the Dependent-Care FSA?

      Your dependent care expenses must be for the care of one or more qualifying persons. A qualifying person is

      1. Your dependent child who was under age 13 when the care was provided, whom you have custody of for more than 50% of the year, and whom you can claim as an exemption on your Federal Income Tax return; or
      2. Your dependent (child older than age 13, spouse, parent, or other family member for whom you have custodial responsibility) who is physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself, shares the same residence with you, and has income less than the federal exemption amount.

      How much can I contribute to a Dependent-Care FSA in 2018?

      $5,000 if the employee is married and filing a joint return or if the employee is a single parent; $2,500 if the employee is married but filing separately.

      Can I roll over unused funds?

      No. Only the Health-Care FSA has a $500 carryover into the following benefit year.

      Retirement and Long-Term Disability Plans

      What changes can I make to my retirement plan during Open Enrollment?

      Your initial election for your mandatory retirement plan (Arizona State Retirement System or Optional Retirement Plan) is irrevocable. You cannot make changes during Open Enrollment. The only circumstance in which you can change elections is if you change position classifications from classified staff to appointed personnel, which allows you to enroll in the Arizona Board of Regents Optional Retirement Plan (ORP).

      All University of Arizona employees are eligible to participate in the Voluntary 403(b) Plan and the 457 Deferred Compensation Plan. Both plans are designed to help you save more for retirement beyond the required 401(a) contribution. You may open one of these plans or change your contribution rate at any time by contacting Fidelity Investments or TIAA for the 403(b), or Nationwide for the 457. Both plans now offer traditional pretax and post-tax (Roth) options. 

      Can I make changes to my Long Term Disability (LTD) election?

      No. The LTD coverage is an automatic component of your retirement plan. It cannot be changed during Open Enrollment.   

      Short-Term Disability Plans

      What are the key differences between the short-term disability plans offered by Unum and The Hartford?

      Monthly cost

      • Unum: $0.71 per $100 of salary
      • The Hartford: $0.39 per $100 of salary

      Note that there are important differences between The Hartford and Unum options.

      • Unum Pays 70% of your base weekly earnings up to $2,000 per week; The Hartford pays 66.66% of your base pay up to a maximum of $769.27 per week.
      • Unum benefits are not offset by any other payments, such as sick or vacation leave; Hartford benefits are offset: You cannot receive full benefits and paid leave at the same time.
      • Unum benefits begin on the first day for outpatient surgery or if hospitalized for 24 hours; The Hartford has a 30-day waiting period unless the disability is due to an accident.
      • Pregnancy benefits: Unum is 6 weeks for vaginal birth, 8 weeks for C-section; The Hartford pays only from 31st day to 42nd day after birth.
      • Unum includes $5,000 life insurance policy and $30,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy.
      • The Hartford pays partial benefits if you return to work less than full time.
      • Unum has a pre-existing condition exclusion for the first 6 months of coverage (pregnancy is not a pre-existing condition). If you do not enroll in The Hartford plan as a new hire, there is a 60-day waiting period for benefits, and there are no pregnancy benefits during the first 12 months following election during Open Enrollment.

      For a comprehensive comparison of the two plans, please go to

      Don't see your question? Ask it here.