GUIDELINES FOR AWARDING THE FACULTY PHYSICIAN TITLE AT COLLEGES OF MEDICINE PHOENIX AND TUCSON
The Faculty Physician title has been developed to recognize physicians and medical staff who deliver patient-care services through Banner University Medicine Division—that is, Banner University Medical Center–Phoenix (BUMC-P), Banner University Medical Center–Tucson (BUMC-T), and Banner University Medical Center–South (BUMC-S)—but do not participate directly in the educational or research programs of either College of Medicine. Individuals on this track add value to the tripartite mission of the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine by delivering direct patient care or otherwise providing patients for COM educational programs, recruiting patients into clinical studies, or creating innovative programs that improve the quality of patient care. Clinicians on this track are expected to provide outstanding clinical care.
Individuals who hold the Faculty Physician title are not employed by the University of Arizona but may receive certain non-compensation amenities from the University as defined by applicable policy.
The following guidelines will apply when awarding the Faculty Physician title at all UA College of Medicine campuses:
- Department chairs or their designees recommend clinicians to the dean for award of the Faculty Physician title.
- Determination of whether an individual continues to hold a Faculty Physician title will be at the discretion of the department head or dean.
- This is a stand-alone, non-ranked faculty title.
- Contributions to the educational and/or research missions of the UA Colleges of Medicine may qualify a Faculty Physician for a title in a modified or unmodified faculty title series.
- Faculty Physicians are considered associate Designated Campus Colleagues (DCCs) with the University of Arizona. Individuals holding these titles are non-voting members of the volunteer faculty at the College of Medicine–Phoenix and College of Medicine–Tucson. Arizona Board of Regents and University policies regarding volunteer faculty will be applicable to individuals holding Faculty Physician titles.
The dean will make final decisions regarding award of the Faculty Physician title and will notify the candidate of such decisions.
Specific qualifications for individuals being considered for or holding the Faculty Physician title are as follows:
- Must be a member of the medical staff at any Banner University Medicine Division (BUMD) campus. Faculty Physicians titles will terminate simultaneously with the termination of BUMD privileges.
- Must not be actively engaged in undergraduate or graduate medical education or research missions that would qualify for an unmodified or a modified series faculty title with either the College of Medicine–Phoenix or College of Medicine–Tucson.
- Must have completed a terminal degree in the candidate's discipline or possess equivalent professional experience. Units will work with the dean's office to define equivalent professional experience.
- Must be certified by a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, or equivalent, or qualified for board certification, as outlined in the Banner physician contract and Banner Medical Staff Bylaws.
- Must have an unrestricted license to practice medicine or related discipline in the State of Arizona and must maintain such license in good standing.