Updating Dependents and Beneficiaries
Adding or Removing Dependents on Your Insurance Coverage
Normally, you are only able to change your insurance coverage once a year during open enrollment. However, life changes that affect your family composition or employment (qualified life events) allow you to add or remove dependents from your health insurance. Qualified life events include:
- Gaining a significant other through marriage or establishment of a domestic partnership
- Gaining a child by birth, adoption, guardianship, foster care, or court order
- Losing a significant other or dependent through death
- Moving in or out of service area for more than 90 days (employee or dependent)
- Losing insurance coverage provided through another employer (affecting you, significant other, or dependent)
- Gaining insurance coverage from another source (affecting you, significant other, or dependent)
- Going on unpaid leave of absence or returning from unpaid leave
In any of these circumstances, please complete a Qualified Life Event form within 31 days of the event.The form specifies documentation you will have to provide for each event.
In addition, note that your children can no longer be covered under your insurance once they reach the age of 26. Human Resources will automatically remove your child from your benefits.
You will be asked to name one or more beneficiaries for your basic life insurance and any voluntary supplemental life insurance you obtain through your UA employment. Whenever you experience a life change, it is a good idea to confirm that your beneficiary designations are still current with your wishes. You can change your beneficiaries at any time in UAccess Employee/Manager Self-Service.
- From the Employee Main Home page, select the Benefits tile, then choose Benefits Summary.
- Click on Life Insurance – Basic, Dependent Life, Supplemental Life, or Unum Short-Term Disability as applicable.
- Your beneficiary or beneficiaries for that plan will be displayed. Select Edit to change beneficiary allocations, or click on the beneficiary’s name to change personal information.