The University of Arizona logo

Service Awards & Retiree Dinner FAQs

Service Awards Attendee Questions

If my cumulative UA service reaches the 10 (15, 20, etc.) year mark later this year, do I attend the event this April, or wait until next year?

The Service Awards are calculated on a calendar-year basis, so you are invited to participate if you reach a milestone that year.

I am a half-time employee hired 10 (15, 20, etc.) years ago. Am I eligible to receive a 10-year (15, 20, etc.) Service Award, or is my time prorated?

The Service Awards are designed to recognize total length of time as a benefits-eligible University of Arizona employee, regardless of full-time equivalency. Total amount of time in a benefits-eligible position should be calculated the same: based on actual years, whether part-time, full-time, or a combination during your years of service.

I have 5 years of service. Am I eligible to receive a 5-year Service Award?

The University-wide service awards are designed to recognize total length beginning with 10 years.

I joined the University 15 years ago, but took a one-year leave of absence. Am I still eligible for my 15-year award this spring?

Unpaid leaves of absence do not qualify toward Service Awards.

Does my time as a student employee count toward a service award?

Your commitment as a student employee is valued, however Service and Retirement Awards are intended to recognize only benefits-eligible staff and faculty.

I took a sabbatical leave last year. How does this affect my Service Awards eligibility?

Sabbaticals are a recognized part of faculty positions. Employees on sabbatical leave are considered to be ongoing employees of the University, and their benefits-eligible status is maintained. Therefore, sabbatical leave is not considered a break in service for the purpose of the Service Awards.

Does my time in a residency program count?

Yes, it does, because residency positions are benefits-eligible employment.

Why does my statement from the Arizona State Retirement System indicate a different number of service years than that shown in the Service Awards report?

For the Service Awards, the system calculates the current calendar year less the calendar year of hire to achieve an approximate number of service years. The statements issued by the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) are calculated much more precisely for retirement planning. ASRS statements may also include service time from other contributory employment—that is, other state agencies where you have worked. All questions regarding your ASRS statement may be directed to:

(602) 240-2000 from within metropolitan Phoenix

(520) 239-3100 from within metropolitan Tucson

(800) 621-3778 from outside the Tucson and Phoenix areas

What if I was eligible last year, but did not receive an invitation?

You may call Employee Records at (520) 621-5970 to be added to the invitation list for this year's event.

May I bring a guest to the Service Awards reception?

Seating is limited, only those being honored can attend.

What if I cannot attend the event, can I still receive my award?

If you are unable to attend the event, awards will be available for pickup at the University Services Building (888 N. Euclid Ave., Tucson, AZ), Room 114, through December of the year of your award. For alternate campus mailing arrangements, please contact your Department Service Awards Coordinator. Regrettably, awards cannot be mailed.

Can we reserve a table at the Service Awards?

Starting in 2016, the format of the Service Awards is changing. At this time, whether table reservations will continue is undecided.

Service Awards Coordinator Questions

I'm a Service Award Coordinator and I did not receive any reports this year. Where can I get the Service Awards and Retiree reports?

Your Business Manager can find the Service Award report in UAccess Analytics ( Go to Analytics/Reporting, click on the "Dashboards" tab, scroll down to the "Employee" option, then select the "Business Manager Home page" link and click on the Service Awards tab. If you don't see a report, it is because there are no Service Awards recipients in your department. Click here for instructions. Please call Records with any questions, (520) 621-5970. 

If I don't have changes to my departmental service award report, do I need to report that to Human Resources?

If there are no changes to your report, there is no need to contact Human Resources.

I am reviewing the reports. How do I know the correct years of service for an employee who recently transferred into my department or was just rehired into the University?

Human Resources Employee Records maintains the employee's employment file. We will be able to access the file and calculate the correct years of service for you. Email with your questions.

An employee in my unit is on layoff status. Does her layoff time count toward a Service Award?

An employee on layoff status is not an active, paid employee, therefore, layoff time does not count toward the total years of service calculation.

Retirement Dinner Questions

An employee in my department just retired in January, but the system indicates her as "T" (terminated) rather than "R" (retired). Will she be invited to the retiree dinner?

For purposes of the annual retirement awards dinner, only individuals coded as "R" in the system are included on the invitation list. This "R" indicates Official University Retirement Status, which is outlined in Classified Staff Human Resources Policy 222.1). Individuals with a "T" status will not appear on the list.

Where do retirees receive their invitation?

Retirees will receive their invitation in a letter sent to their home address.

Don't see your question? Ask it here.