Sabbatical FAQs

General Questions

Appointed personnel on an academic year appointment may apply for a sabbatical leave of either one or two semesters. Appointed personnel on a fiscal-year appointment may request leave of either 6 or 12 months. In addition, fiscal year employees with teaching assignments who take a leave of 6 months must arrange to be present during one of the two regular semesters.

If the leave is for two semesters or one fiscal year, the University will pay compensation at three-fifths of your normal salary. If the leave is for one semester or six months, the University will pay the full salary.

If you withdraw your application after it has been approved, every effort will be made in department planning to approve the sabbatical for the following year. However, such approval cannot be guaranteed, and the period of the delay does not count toward the next sabbatical.