Purpose of Classification:
Performs a broad scope of professional accounting activities requiring experienced, professional knowledge and application of accounting principles and practices. Performs a wide range of detailed/complex accounting and advisory functions pertaining to assigned fund area, accounts or department and assures day-to-day operations are carried out in accordance with established accounting principles, policies and objectives. Assigned function is relatively stable and well established.
This is second in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from the Accountant, Associate in that incumbents typically perform a wider variety of duties of greater complexity and diversity. Incumbents work relatively independently and exercise professional judgment within assigned function and lead other lower-level staff. It is distinguished from the Accountant, Senior in that incumbents usually consult the Accountant, Senior for advice and assistance and are not responsible for a function as specialized or complex in interrelationships.
Example of Duties:
- Prepares standard accounting reports and statements and also non-standard reports and statements, such as detailed cost and financial analysis, forecasts and projections reflecting interrelationships of accounting data; prepares or assists in preparation of special accounting studies.
- Interprets data and points out trends or deviations from standards.
- Identifies informational needs of management and revises or refines account structures or data accordingly.
- Prepares intricate journal entries, maintains complex ledgers, prepares detailed cost accounting information and reconciles and analyzes reports and ledgers.
- Decides proper handling of financial transactions; approves transactions within designated limits.
- Provides solutions to problems presented by lower level staff and recommends changes to accounting system, methods or procedures to management, utilizing knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Interprets accounting data, analyzes reports and recommends action to be taken.
- Advises and counsels on complex accounting matters to department and/or university staff.
- Implements changes in procedures affecting assigned function.
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and university regulations.
- Reviews computer reports for errors or inconsistencies; investigates and corrects problem.
- Keeps informed by researching and evaluating appropriate professional and related legal literature as assigned.
- Provides training to campus users as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic leadership practices.
- Skill in performing detailed numerical computations.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Skill in the use of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or a related area with accounting course work AND one year of professional accounting experience; OR,
- Five years progressively responsible and diverse accounting experience and course work, which includes at least one year professional accounting, in which a broad exposure to all areas of accounting and accounting principles, practices and procedures was acquired; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.