Accounting Assistant, Senior
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of clerical accounting and bookkeeping duties requiring a working knowledge of assigned accounting functions and accuracy and attention to detail. Incumbents work within established procedures but with relative independence in carrying out duties under limited supervision. Advice and leadership are available from supervisor for complex or questionable matters or those requiring authorization. Detailed instructions are provided for difficult or unusual assignments.
This is second in a series of three classifications. Accounting Specialists exercise signature authority, work under own initiative with only general supervision, possess a complete and thorough knowledge of a specialized set of functions and/or provide formalized work leadership to assigned staff. This classification is distinguished from the Accounting Assistant in that incumbents make decisions and act relatively independently in performing duties of a wider scope and more specialized nature that require additional skills or knowledge.
Example of Duties:
- Prepares and verifies amounts and codes for various standard accounting entries, data input or other forms; encodes and obtains necessary approvals for processing.
- Sorts documents and posts debits/credits to proper accounts; balances and reconciles department records with university accounting system; makes necessary corrections.
- Reviews computer reports to identify and trace sources of error and makes necessary corrections; performs research to locate accounting or computer input errors.
- Performs verification and reconciliation activities for assigned accounts of a complex nature.
- Maintains a variety of records pertinent to work unit such as records of cash receipts, cash deposits, property control records, accounts payable or accounts receivable; identifies accounts affected and debit and credit entries necessary.
- Verifies billing statements and prepares for authorization; checks for completeness and compliance with university regulations.
- Independently responds to or initiates correspondence regarding matters pertaining to assigned function.
- Contacts various department personnel to resolve discrepancies or problems; answers inquiries regarding work being performed.
- Compiles numerical and statistical information for report purposes or simple financial statements; runs a variety of reports from computer records; makes and checks relatively complex numerical and statistical calculations.
- Provides assistance and training to other workers.
- May perform various clerical duties related to work unit.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic business math.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of budgetary principles.
- Skill in maintaining accounting and bookkeeping records.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Two years clerical accounting experience; OR,
- Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.