Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of specialized or technical clerical accounting and bookkeeping functions. Responsible for a complete, systematic set of transactions in a specialized accounting or bookkeeping function. Leads or supervises a small clerical staff.
This is third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the Accounting Assistant, Senior classification in that incumbents work under own initiative and apply judgment with general supervision. Incumbents are accountable for a specialized function and exercise signature authority within well defined limits. Incumbents are also distinguished by lead responsibilities, and increased responsibility for particular assignment. This classification is distinguished from the Accountant, Associate classification in that the Associate Accountant classification is required to possess a broad knowledge of accounting principles to apply in a variety of tasks and the largest part of duties is at the professional level.
Example of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Prepares or verifies and encodes requisitions, invoices, complex journal entries or other transaction documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance with pertinent university or sponsor regulations; approves transaction documents within designated limits.
- Determines if funds are available for expenditures or requisitions and posts to proper account; monitors fund/account balances and notifies appropriate personnel when limits are reached.
- Maintains special logs or records and balances and reconciles internal accounts or records with university system; verifies accuracy and completeness and makes necessary adjustments.
- Reviews computer reports to identify and trace sources of error; makes necessary corrections.
- Prepares a variety of straightforward special and recurring accounting related reports, summaries, financial statements, statistical reports and reconciliations.
- Performs or reviews specialized calculations related to posting and accounting functions.
- Solves problems and recommends changes in procedure in accordance with previous training or experience.
- Ensures requirements and specifications of university or outside agencies are met by monitoring and complying with reporting requirements and opening or closing accounts as specified/required.
- Controls small petty cash fund; authorizes disbursement and fund replenishment; prepares necessary entries.
- Contacts department personnel, account representatives or other appropriate personnel regularly to resolve problems, keep all parties informed and to serve as a reference source; composes correspondence of technical nature pertaining to assignments.
- May authorize the purchase of equipment, supplies and services within defined limits.
- May prepare student personnel payroll action requests.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and budgeting practices.
- Skill in maintaining and reconciling accounting and financial records.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Three years related accounting experience; OR,
- Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field AND one year of related experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.