Purpose of Classification:
Codes, tests and debugs applications programs for input, retrieval, indexing and storage of data.
This is the first in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from the Applications Systems Analyst/Developer which participates in designing, analyzing, implementing and maintaining applications systems.
Example of Duties:
- Reviews program specifications to determine program steps and sequencing.
- Writes computer software code in computer language appropriate to the assignment to create applications programs to meet user's needs.
- Develops sample input data to test adequacy of program steps and observes and runs test of program using sample and actual data.
- Checks program and corrects errors by altering program steps and sequences and verifies test results with users and/or supervisor.
- Reviews and writes documentation of program code, applications, instructions and expected results.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of programming and job control language applicable to the assignment.
- Knowledge of common program testing and data file manipulation practices and access methods.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles and practices of information processing systems.
- Skill in writing computer code in various languages or in language of assignment.
- Skill in analyzing systems and program specifications.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Two years of computer programming experience; OR,
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND one year of computer programming experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.