Applications Systems Analyst / Developer
Purpose of Classification:
Participates in designing, analyzing, implementing and maintaining applications systems. Writes and maintains code, tests applications, and maintains related documentation.
This is the second in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from the Applications Programmer which codes, tests and debugs applications programs for input, retrieval, indexing and storage of data. It is distinguished from the Applications Analyst/Developer, Senior which conducts user needs analysis and plans, designs, analyzes implements and maintains applications systems solutions.
Example of Duties:
- Participates in analyzing user application programming requests and designing, implementing and maintaining applications systems.
- Writes and maintains software code, queries and reports and programs applications using current tools and languages.
- Conducts tests of applications programs and quality assurance reviews; compiles test and review results for review by others.
- Writes functional and technical documentation including application interface and source code documentation.
- Participates in consultation with users to clarify work requests and implementation plans.
- Responds to requests for user support and training on relevant applications and to troubleshoot applications problems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applications programming theory, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of current applications programming and scripting languages.
- Knowledge of relevant security and service protocols and standards.
- Skill in using applications programming and scripting languages.
- Skill in writing queries, reports and technical documentation.
- Skill in testing applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Three years of experience in programming applications systems using current technology and programming languages; OR,
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND two years of applications systems programming experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.