Applications Systems Analyst / Developer, Principal
Purpose of Classification:
Conducts user needs analysis and plans, designs, analyzes and implements complex applications systems solutions. In addition, functions in at least one of the following: As a project manager, plans, organizes and directs project teams involved in large and/or complex applications projects. Provides direction to applications systems analysts, programmers and other technical staff. As a functional team coordinator, schedules, monitors and participates in planning, designing, analyzing, implementing and testing applications systems in response to user requests and requirements. As a functional supervisor, hires, schedules, monitors, directs and evaluates a small technical staff and participates in system software and related hardware installation, monitoring, maintenance, documentation and performance optimization.
This is the fourth in a series of four classifications. This position is distinguished from the Applications Systems Analyst/Developer, Senior which conducts user needs analysis and plans, designs, analyzes implements and maintains applications systems solutions.
Example of Duties:
- Defines applications systems project scope and desired outcome(s), develops project plans, monitors progress, ensures deadlines are met and coordinates activities with other units. Designs required scope of functional and technical documentation. Ensures necessary documentation is maintained.
- Develops and implements effective communication strategies regarding all phases of projects to all project stake-holders.
- Directs and provides guidance to project team members regarding applications systems analysis, design, development and implementation.
- Coordinates analysis of user application programming requests. Evaluates requests in terms of overall program goals and system functionality and determines appropriate solution. Evaluates database needs and designs and develops database applications. Directs implementation of applications systems.
- Coordinates applications program testing and quality assurance reviews. Selects testing standards, tools and methods. Reviews and approves final results.
- Coordinates ongoing operational research. Evaluates results and recommends selection of emerging and/or relevant methodologies, programming languages and technologies.
- Establishes and ensures compliance with current security and service protocols and standards.
- Provides technical guidance to applications systems analysts, programmers and other technical staff regarding specialized applications.
- Writes and maintains software code and programs applications using current tools and programming languages.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applications programming theory, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle.
- Knowledge of current and emerging application programming and scripting languages and technology.
- Knowledge of current and emerging security and service protocols and standards.
- Knowledge of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Skill in managing projects.
- Skill in using programming and scripting languages.
- Skill in analyzing and responding to user requests.
- Skill in writing technical and functional documentation.
- Skill in conducting applications technology research.
- Skill in establishing and implementing appropriate testing and documentation protocols.
- Skill in planning and monitoring the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Six years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR,
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND five years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.