Applications Systems Analyst / Developer, Senior
Purpose of Classification:
Conducts user needs analysis and plans, designs, analyzes, implements and maintains applications systems solutions.
This is the third in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from the Application Systems Analyst/Developer which participates in designing analyzing, implementing and maintaining applications systems. It is distinguished from the Application Systems Analyst/Developer, Principal which manages large/complex applications projects, acts as a functional team coordinator and/or acts as a functional supervisor.
Example of Duties:
- Consults with users regarding applications programming requests, applications training, user support and troubleshooting. Analyzes user applications programming requests related to overall program goals and system functionality and recommends solutions.
- Writes and maintains software code, queries and reports and programs applications using current tools and languages.
- Develops functional and technical documentation and test plans.
- Conducts document and applications tests, evaluates results in accordance with quality assurance standards and writes test reports.
- Designs, develops, maintains and administers database applications.
- Researches, evaluates, recommends and uses emerging and/or relevant methodologies, languages and technologies.
- Implements and maintains compliance with current security and service protocols and standards.
- May manage projects of limited scope or portions of large/complex projects. May provide guidance to other analysts/programmers on a project basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applications programming theory, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of current and emerging applications programming and scripting languages and technology.
- Knowledge of current applications development security practices and technology.
- Skill in using programming and scripting languages and technology.
- Skill in analyzing and responding to user requests.
- Skill in writing technical and functional documentation.
- Skill in developing and implementing test plans for applications.
- Skill in planning and guiding the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Five years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR,
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND four years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR,
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND two years of experience in programming applications systems using relevant technologies and programming languages; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.