Purpose of Classification:
Prepares plans and specifications for the construction and/or alteration of buildings. Oversees work of contractor to ensure work is being done according to contract.
This is first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from the Architect, Senior in that the Architect, Senior coordinates and manages projects.
Example of Duties:
- Consults with requesters to determine requirements of projects; determines feasibility of project and prepares cost estimates.
- Prepares and/or coordinates preparation of layout and draws preliminary sketch of project to present to client.
- Develops and/or coordinates development of detailed working drawings and specifications after approval for project has been obtained.
- Coordinates bid process which includes ensuring that the project is promoted and explained to interested contractors, receiving bids and making recommendations for award of contract.
- Reviews shop drawings, specifications, cost estimates and construction material recommendations submitted by outside architects and contractors to ensure adherence to contract.
- Observes work of contractor, verifying specified materials are being used, dimensions are as drawn and quality is according to contract document.
- Participates in selection of outside architects or construction managers, including fee negotiation and contract preparation.
- Provides advice and information to outside consultants concerning design matters.
- May supervise activities of subordinates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of architecture and architectural principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of types of building materials and construction methods.
- Knowledge of federal and state facility and code requirements.
- Knowledge of structural, mechanical and electrical engineering relating to building costs.
- Skill in drafting architectural plans.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture or related field AND three years of architectural experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Registration as an Architect in the State of Arizona.