Athletic Equipment Specialist
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates activities involved with distribution, maintenance, collection and ordering of athletic equipment for all university sport teams.
This is second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from the first level, Athletic Equipment Attendant, in that it supervises student equipment attendants. Incumbents in this classification are required to maintain a flexible work schedule in order to accommodate evening and weekend sporting events. Incumbents are required to travel periodically.
Example of Duties:
- Coordinates activities of subordinates.
- Monitors issuance of uniforms to team coaches or individual athletes; maintains accurate records and files regarding equipment check out.
- Stores and packs sporting equipment appropriately when not in use.
- Monitors daily maintenance of equipment which includes laundering, repair and general upkeep of equipment.
- Coordinates student workers in performance of athletic equipment maintenance duties.
- Participates in athletic equipment purchases; orders equipment according to department procedures; checks in equipment upon delivery to verify receipt.
- Monitors maintenance of machines used in equipment maintenance; performs minor repairs and preventative maintenance and/or arranges for repairs as necessary.
- Travels to athletic games as assigned to perform equipment maintenance responsibilities.
- Prepares equipment for distribution such as stamping names or numbers on equipment in order to track it.
- Assists with fitting athletic equipment to individual athletes.
- Coordinates the preparation of facilities for intercollegiate athletic team practices and contests.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of athletic equipment maintenance and management.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in fitting athletic equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Three years athletic equipment maintenance and management experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.