Purpose of Classification:
Operates equipment in the support level of streets and grounds maintenance programs.
This is first in a series of two classifications. Working conditions - restricted movement, intense noise, extreme temperatures, dirty environment; lifts or carries heavy objects.
Example of Duties:
- Operates heavy equipment such as cranes, graders and bulldozers under the guidance of Heavy Equipment Operator.
- Operates equipment such as backhoes, front-end loaders, street sweepers, fork lifts, tractor trailers, tractors and boom, bucket, water and dump trucks.
- Operates lawnmowers, jackhammers, chain saws, trenchers, generators, compressors, tampers, rollers, cement saws, core drills, augers, sandblaster; uses hand tools.
- Services and performs general and preventative maintenance on heavy equipment and related equipment.
- Transports and delivers materials.
- Installs and maintains signs and fencing.
- Performs street maintenance and grounds excavation work.
- May remove snow from streets, walks and parking lots.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment operation.
- Skill in equipment operation.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Two years of equipment operation experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Possession of a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment.