Purpose of Classification:
Schedules and coordinates public and athletic events, seminars, conferences and services for campus and/or community organizations. Arranges various aspects of events such as security of conference room reservations, technical requirements, parking, staffing or various other services.
This is first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from the Events Coordinator, Senior in that incumbents in this classification coordinate, for the most part, a singular type of event such as musical or athletic events that have similar preparatory requirements. Incumbents are required to maintain a flexible work schedule in order to coordinate and attend evening and weekend events. Maintains on-call status.
Example of Duties:
- Schedules facilities and services for university and outside organizations' events; maintains weekly and monthly facility activities calendar; updates calendar as required.
- Recommends to supervisor approval or denial of facility rental for specific events by reviewing rental applications.
- Coordinates with renter's management to negotiate rental costs and determine requirements of renter in regard to technical, security and/or other requirements.
- Ensures adequate staffing for events and schedules set-up, technical, stage and other crews accordingly; supervises crews during events.
- Provides assistance and information to faculty, staff and outside organizations regarding facility use and capabilities; maintains contact with patrons or clients via telephone or written correspondence.
- Represents university in public relations/liaison capacity on matters relating to events and at departmental meetings.
- Attends events to facilitate operations and responds to emergencies or problems; ensures all aspects of events are implemented and controlled according to plans.
- Maintains direct contact with personnel from the various outside organizations and university departments associated with scheduled events.
- Coordinates conferences and/or requested services including reserving conference rooms, determining catering needs, preparing conference materials, tracking various expenditures and revenues, collecting fees and maintaining any necessary records.
- Coordinates, determines and/or arranges physical maintenance of facility as required; oversees daily security of facility; checks work of staff assigned in these areas.
- Maintains inventory of facility/department equipment.
- Compiles material for event program; maintains mailing lists for distribution of event calendar or other pertinent information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of scheduling, box office operations and contract administration.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in public relations and handling complaints.
- Skill in organization in order to coordinate several events simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field AND two years of facility and/or services administration and coordination experience; OR,
- Six years of progressively responsible experience in facility and/or service administration and coordination; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.