Purpose of Classification:
Assists in preparing exhibit concept, formalizing design plan and constructing exhibit for display of artifacts, data, artwork and memorabilia.
This is first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from the second level in that incumbents in this classification do not possess management responsibility for museum exhibit preparation. This is distinguished from the Curatorial Specialist series in that the primary purpose is exhibit preparation as opposed to research, cataloging and preservation.
Example of Duties:
- Installs displays from traveling exhibitions; designs construction of exhibit including development of floor plan, determination of lighting requirements and placement of objects; packs and unpacks display objects and hangs paintings according to specific guidelines.
- Maintains exhibit by checking physical condition of exhibit and determining when upgrading is required.
- Prepares graphics for signs and other visual presentations for exhibits according to intended audience.
- Packs and unpacks display objects and hangs paintings according to specific guidelines.
- Prepares graphics for exhibits such as signs, banners, murals, labels and schematics.
- Assists in handling valuable and irreplaceable artifacts in accordance to curatorial guidelines and standards; builds display mounts to support exhibit pieces.
- Assists in maintaining workshop supplies and equipment; orders supplies as needed according to established department procedures; performs minor repairs on equipment.
- Inspects exhibits for damage; assists in adjusting and/or reconstructing exhibits as needed.
- Assists in preparation for special events.
- Coordinates activities of subordinates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of curatorial guidelines and standards for handling artifacts.
- Skill in operation and maintenance of various workshop equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies or related field; OR,
- Four years experience in design and building trades including two years experience in exhibit design and construction ;OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources