Exhibit Specialist, Senior
Purpose of Classification:
Establishes exhibit concept, formalizes design plan and constructs exhibit for display of artifacts, data, artwork and memorabilia. Work is performed in conjunction with educators, scientists, administrators and curators.
This is second in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from the Exhibit Specialist by managerial and/or design responsibility for the museum exhibit. This classification is distinguished from the Curatorial Specialist series in that the primary purpose is exhibit design and preparation as opposed to research, cataloging and preservation.
Example of Duties:
- Designs construction of exhibit including development of floor plan, determination of lighting requirements, object placement, exhibit casings locking and security systems and graphics.
- Determines methodology in converting an assortment of materials into a visual effect that is accepted and understood by the museum visitor.
- Constructs temporary and permanent exhibits using a variety of materials; fabricates exhibit sets, props and furniture as required.
- Prepares budget for fabrication shop, gallery lighting and exhibition materials.
- Coordinates detailed planning and specifications for scheduled exhibits and events; organizes logistics such as shipping, handling and insurance of exhibit pieces.
- Trains and supervises volunteers, research assistants and students in methodology of graphic arts, fabrication techniques, shop policies and procedures and use of tools.
- Produces specific plans using computer systems.
- Identifies themes and areas of interest and evaluates audience response; inspects exhibits for damage.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of curatorial guidelines and standards for handling artifacts.
- Knowledge and skill in museum exhibit methodology and development.
- Skill in operation and maintenance of various workshop tools and equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies or related field AND two years experience in design and building trades or exhibit design and construction; OR,
- Six years experience in design and building trades which includes two years experience in exhibit design and construction; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.