Purpose of Classification:
Assists in performing farm activities such as planting, weeding and harvesting crops and/or providing care for laboratory or farm animals in an animal facility or farm environment.
This is first in a series of six classifications. Incumbents work under close supervision and may work outside in adverse weather conditions.
Example of Duties:
- Assists in the planting, weeding, cultivating, irrigating and harvesting of experimental plots and/or field crops.
- Cleans shops, barns, sheds, barn lots and office facilities.
- Mows, edges, waters and removes trash and debris from farm lawns.
- Assists in the construction and repair of fences, buildings and sheds.
- Distributes fertilizers over fields and plots.
- May drive truck to transport supplies and equipment as instructed.
- Milks cows with milking equipment.
- Feeds, waters, houses, grooms and cares for animals; performs visual inspection of animals and notifies supervisor or designated person of any illness or injury.
- Cleans and sterilizes cages, feeding equipment, animal rooms and stalls; sprays disinfectant and mops floors and walls.
- Inventories animals by head count and weighs animals to ensure space requirements are met; moves animals to larger cages according to National Institute of Health guidelines, in consultation with supervisor.
- Completes and/or forwards paperwork when animals are moved.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skill in concentrating on routine tasks.
- Skill in working with animals.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- No prior experience required.
- May require possession of a current Arizona Type D drivers license upon employment.