Farm Attendant, Senior
Purpose of Classification:
Performs farm activities such as planting, weeding and harvesting crops which includes heavy equipment operation. Cares for livestock and performs minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry work on farm buildings as assigned.
This is second in a series of six classifications. It is distinguished from the Farm Attendant by performing more complex duties such as driving heavy farm equipment, mixing chemicals and calibrating chemical application equipment. May lead the work of Farm Attendants as assigned. Incumbents work outside in adverse weather conditions.
Example of Duties:
- Plants, weeds, cultivates, irrigates and harvests experimental plots and field crops.
- May coordinate the work of small crews of Farm/Animal Attendants engaged in planting, weeding or harvesting activities.
- May drive and operate harvesters, tractors and other farm equipment.
- Applies pesticides and fertilizers, which includes measuring and mixing chemicals and calibrating the application equipment.
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs on farm vehicles such as changing oil and filter, adding fluid or replacing fuel pump, hoses and belts.
- Performs minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry work for the construction and maintenance of buildings.
- Feeds, waters, houses and grooms animals; performs visual inspection of animal and treats minor ailments or injuries.
- Milks cows with milking equipment and instructs others in milking techniques.
- Assists project leaders with data collection.
- Cleans shops, barns, sheds, barn lots and office facilities.
- Drives truck to transport farm supplies, tools and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of farm operations.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
- Knowledge of planting, cultivating and harvesting techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Two years of farm work experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- May require possession of a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment.