Farm/Ranch Mechanic and Maintenance Technician
Purpose of Classification:
Repairs, overhauls, and maintains vehicles, farm/ranch equipment and facilities.
This is a journey level position. This is second in a series of three classifications. Working conditions - restricted movement, dirty environment, air contamination, intense noise, hazardous materials; lifts or carries heavy objects.
Example of Duties:
- Overhauls and repairs engines and transmissions on gas and diesel equipment. May include trucks, vehicles, ATVs, UTVs, tractors and other equipment.
- Overhauls, repairs and/or replaces parts and provides routine maintenance on vehicles.
- Performs diversified electrical work such as servicing, installing batteries and terminals, repairing and adjusting lights and repairing generators and starters.
- Uses diagnostic equipment as an aid in locating vehicle defects.
- Troubleshoots and repairs or replaces digital electronic components and computers.
- Performs maintenance of water pipes and services ranch/farm pastures and facilities.
- Performs general maintenance work including painting, plumbing, electrical and carpentry
- Fabricates and/or reconstructs equipment by using gas, arc, MIG or TIG welding methods.
- Performs emission control repair, replacement and testing on all required vehicles.
- Road tests vehicles to locate operational defects prior to returning to active use.
- Drives buses and other vehicles for special events or field trips as needed.
- Overhauls, repairs, and maintains heavy equipment which may include tractors, crawlers and other farm equipment.
- Operates shop machines such as milling and metal lathes to rebuild or fabricate machine parts.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment diagnosis and repair.
- Skill in the diagnosis and repair of automotive, heavy equipment or farm equipment.
- Skill in operating shop tools and machines.
- Skill in modifying, designing and fabricating special purpose equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Four years experience in the diagnosis, repair and maintenance of automobiles and/or farm/ranch equipment and/or facilities; OR,
- Completion of a one year vocational training program in automotive mechanics AND three years experience in the diagnosis, repair and maintenance of automobiles and/or farm/ranch equipment; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Some positions may require possession of a current Arizona Type D, B or C driver's license upon employment.
- May be required to obtain a current Arizona Emissions Inspection Certificate.