Financial Services Specialist
Purpose of Classification:
Provides information and assistance in response to financial inquiries from students, parents, staff, faculty, affiliates, volunteers, vendors and other clients of the centralized Financial Services Office. Is assigned to a functional area such as payroll, travel, accounts receivable, property/capital or disbursements (to employees, students or vendors).
This is first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from the Financial Services Specialist, Senior, which responds to client complaints and regularly provides work direction to staff and students.
Example of Duties:
- Provides information and assistance within established guidelines in response to financial inquiries from students, parents, staff, faculty, affiliates, volunteers, vendors and other clients of the centralized Financial Services Office. Reviews, explains, clarifies and applies banking and accounting procedures and policies. Refers complaints and difficult clients to Financial Service Specialist, Senior or supervisor.
- Identifies, researches and analyzes client inquiries, serves as a technical resource to clients and Financial Services staff, develops recommendations and implements solutions.
- Reviews and audits financial documents for accuracy and completeness, and edits/corrects documents within established guidelines. Communicates with clients to obtain missing or erroneous information and clarify requests.
- Enters, reviews, validates and corrects financial data using multiple automated financial system applications, databases and spreadsheets. Generates reports, reconciles data and balances financial accounts.
- Drafts correspondence using word processing and email software and maintains files and records.
- Maintains and communicates policy and procedure information on assigned Financial Services function; provides training to colleagues and others as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic accounting practices.
- Knowledge of and skill in researching financial information.
- Knowledge of Arizona Board of Regents policies, University policies and federal and state banking regulations related to assigned functional area.
- Skill in balancing/reconciling financial information.
- Skill in using database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Skill in numeric data entry.
- Skill in working with a wide variety of internal, external, technical and non-technical clients.
- Ability to effectively communicate with colleagues in a team setting.
- Three (3) years of customer service experience, including at least one year of experience in accounting or finance; OR
- Associate\'s Degree in Accounting or a related field AND one (1) year of related customer service experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience training and/or education approved by Human Resources.