Financial Services Specialist, Senior
Purpose of Classification:
Provides information and assistance and resolves complaints in response to complex and unusual financial inquiries from students, parents, staff, faculty, affiliates, volunteers, vendors and other clients of the centralized Financial Services Office. Develops and delivers client and staff training related to assigned area. Coordinates the work of staff and student workers. Is assigned to a functional area such as payroll, travel, accounts receivable, property/capital or disbursements (to employees, students or vendors).
This is second in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from the Financial Services Specialist, which provides information and assistance in response to financial inquiries from clients.
Example of Duties:
- Provides information and assistance and resolves complaints in response to complex and unusual financial inquiries from students, parents, staff, faculty, affiliates, volunteers, vendors and other clients of the centralized Financial Services Office. Reviews, explains, clarifies and applies banking and accounting procedures and policies. Responds to client complaints and difficult client issues.
- Identifies, researches and analyzes client inquiries, serves as a technical resource to clients and Financial Services staff, develops recommendations and leads the implementation of solutions.
- Reviews current Financial Service procedures, policies, systems and tools. Researches improvements and recommends and participates in the development, testing and implementation of revisions/enhancements.
- Develops and delivers training in area of expertise to clients and Financial Services staff.
- Coordinates the work of others in the assigned unit, including staff and student employees.
- Reviews and audits financial documents for accuracy and completeness, and edits/corrects documents. Communicates with clients to obtain missing or erroneous information and clarify requests.
- Enters, reviews, validates and corrects financial data using multiple automated financial system applications, databases and spreadsheets. Generates reports, reconciles data and balances financial accounts.
- Drafts correspondence using word processing and email software and maintains files and records.
- May be trained and required to assist in other functional areas within the Financial Services Office based on staffing and service levels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of and skill in researching and analyzing financial information.
- Knowledge of and skill in interpreting and implementing Arizona Board of Regents policies, University policies and federal and state banking regulations related to assigned functional area.
- Skill in balancing/reconciling financial information.
- Skill in using database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Skill in numeric data entry.
- Skill in working with a wide variety of internal, external, technical and non-technical clients
- Ability to effectively communicate with colleagues in a team setting.
- Four (4) years of customer service experience, including at least two years of experience in accounting or finance; OR
- Associate\'s Degree in Accounting or a related field AND two (2) years of related customer service experience; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience training and/or education approved by Human Resources.