Floor Covering Specialist
Purpose of Classification:
Installs and removes various types of floor coverings and tiles.
This is first in a series of two classifications and is a skilled classification. Working conditions - restricted movement, dirty environment; lifts or carries heavy objects. Position requires certification by manufacturers on warranted products and safety training for the removal of hazardous materials such as asbestos.
Example of Duties:
- Removes and installs floor coverings and tiles.
- Sweeps, scrapes, sands or chips dirt and irregularities from base surfaces; fills cracks with putty, plaster or cement grout to form smooth, clean foundation.
- Measures and cuts covering material such as vinyl, tile, carpet, linoleum or cork and foundation material according to blueprints and sketches.
- Lays out centerlines, guidelines and borderlines on foundation with chalk and dividers.
- Evaluates jobs to determine appropriate action to take and what materials to use.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of floor covering and tile installation and removal.
- Skill in floor covering and tile methods and techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Five years of experience in the removal, installation and repair of carpeting, tile and ceramic tile; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.