Compassionate Transfer of Leave enables employees to contribute vacation hours to other employees who are unable to work due to a catastrophic personal illness or injury, or who are absent due to a catastrophic illness or injury within their immediate families or situations that place primary responsibility for care on those employees.
- Anticipated duration of employee's disability is 45 consecutive calendar days or more and is confirmed in writing by a physician.
- Employee is unable to perform all of the job duties in the position held at the time of the injury/illness.
- Employee is unable to perform available light duty work.
- Employee is eligible to accrue and use vacation leave.
- All forms of paid leave have been exhausted.
- Employee is not receiving benefits from either Workers' Compensation or Long-Term Disability (LTD).
- Employee has applied for Short-Term Disability (STD) benefits if enrolled in a STD program offered by the University. Employees receiving STD benefits are eligible to receive Compassionate Transfer of Leave contributions to supplement up to and not to exceed the employee's regular rate of pay.
- Recipient obtains a physician's statement confirming a catastrophic illness or injury and its anticipated duration.
- Recipient completes the Compassionate Transfer of Leave Request form and returns both the request form and physician's statement to their departmental payroll representative.
- Contributor informs his/her departmental payroll representative of desire to contribute vacation hours to recipient by completing the Compassionate Transfer of Leave Contribution form.
- Contributor's departmental payroll representative confirms that the contributor has sufficient vacation hours available to donate. The contributor must have a remaining balance of 80 vacation hours after the donation.
- Contributor's payroll representative completes the processing information section on the Compassionate Transfer of Leave Contribution form and forwards completed paper work to the payroll representative of the recipient's department.
- The recipient's payroll representative reviews the Compassionate Transfer of Leave Request form and physician's statement to confirm employee's eligibility to receive contributions.
- The recipient's department representative completes the Processing Information section of the Compassionate Transfer of Leave Request form. Contributions must not be more than what is needed according to the duration of illness/injury that has been certified by the physician's statement.
- Recipient's payroll representative forwards ALL completed forms and the latest physician's statement to the Human Resources Leave Management Team. Forms should be forwarded to the Leave Management Team before the employee's paid leave is exhausted.
What Happens to Your Benefits?
- This leave has no impact on the employee's benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
Links to policies