The University of Arizona logo

Contract Negotiations between UnitedHealthcare and Northwest Allied Physicians

Tuesday, March 21, 2017


Employees Enrolled in United Healthcare Medical Plans OR in the UA Alternative Medical Plan 


Division of Human Resources


March 21, 2017


Contract Negotiations between UnitedHealthcare and Northwest Allied Physicians

When you enrolled in your health insurance benefits, you elected UnitedHealthcare (UHC) as your insurance provider.

You may recently have received a letter from UHC and/or Northwest Allied Physicians about a possible change that would affect your access to services through Northwest Healthcare facilities and providers*

Northwest Healthcare is currently a contracted provider with UHC, but the present contract expires on April 30, 2017. Though Northwest Healthcare and UHC are negotiating a new contract, they have not yet reached an agreement.   

The Arizona Department of Administration is closely monitoring the situation, and we remain hopeful that an agreement will be reached. However, if that does not happen, Northwest facilities and providers will become out-of-network providers on May 1, 2017, and your out-of-pocket costs will be higher when you visit a Northwest physician or facility.

If you regularly use Northwest physicians or facilities, you may wish to consider these steps:

  • Review the communications you receive from UHC and Northwest Healthcare carefully to remain informed about the situation.
  • Determine how your health-care access would be affected should Northwest hospitals and physicians become out-of-network providers:
    • Employees enrolled in the United Healthcare EPO or PPO Plans, can contact Andrea Helgeson, Senior Account Manager with UHC, at 602-364-4891 or
    • Employees enrolled in the UA Alternative Medical Plan can call the Customer Service phone number on the back of their insurance cards.

If an agreement is not reached, and you are undergoing a course of treatment from a Northwest provider for pregnancy or a covered medical condition, you can request to continue your treatment with your Northwest provider and receive in-network benefits.  For more information on this transition of care allowance as well as how to request it, please contact UHC.

We will provide more information as it becomes available. Have questions? Contact the Division of Human Resources at and:

Main Campus
Phone: (520) 621-3660

UA Health Sciences
Phone: (520) 626-5593

Phoenix Biomedical Campus
Phone: (602) 827-2600