Sabbatical Leave - Appointed Personnel
Sabbatical Leave Overview
Sabbatical leave is granted at the discretion of the administration to enable appointed personnel to make advances in their profession, to remain effective in current positions, or to render the greatest possible service to The University of Arizona.
- Appointed personnel who have served on full-time continuous fiscal or academic year appointments at the University for no less than 6 years;
- Who have tenure or continuing status; and,
- Who intend to return to the University for a period of further service equal to the length of the leave.
- Following a sabbatical leave, 6 years of additional service are required before becoming eligible for another such leave.
- Forms and instructions for applying for sabbatical leave may be obtained from the dean's or director's office.
- Each college/vice presidential area has a Sabbatical Leave Advisory Committee consisting of at least 3 people.
- Applications are reviewed by the appropriate department head and dean/vice president or director.
- The final approval of sabbatical leave applications occurs in the college/vice presidential area.
- A candidate whose sabbatical proposal is rejected by the dean/vice president has the right to appeal to the University's Sabbatical Leave Advisory Committee.
What happens to Your Benefits?
- This leave has no impact on the employee's current benefits. Benefit premiums will continue to be deducted from the employee's paycheck.