Jury Duty is a paid leave/administrative absence available to fully-benefits eligible employees who are called upon for service as a jury member or as a material witness.
- The employee notifies his or her supervisor of the starting and ending dates of jury duty.
- The "Jury Duty" time reporting code is entered on the employee's timesheet to record jury duty hours for which the employee wishes to receive Administrative Leave/Absence with Pay. Upon completion of jury duty, employees submit a check to their supervisor or department head payable to the University of Arizona, for an amount equal to jury duty pay. The supervisor or department head then submits the check to the Bursar's Office.
- If the employee would prefer to keep the jury duty pay and take jury duty hours as an excused unpaid absence, the "Unpaid Absence" time reporting code is entered on the timesheet.
- Employees with accrued vacation time may elect, with their supervisor's prior approval, to take the jury/witness day(s) as vacation, in which event they may retain any jury or witness fee paid to them.
What Happens to the Employee’s Benefits?
- If this leave/absence is paid, it has no impact on the employee's benefits. Benefit premiums will continue to be deducted from the employee's paycheck.