Appendix E - Sample Reference Check Questions
Thank you for agreeing to speak with me about Ms./Mr./Dr. NAME. I am part of a University of Arizona search committee charged with filling a position of JOB TITLE in a department that is responsible for MISSION. This job is PROVIDE A SUMMARY OF DUTIES. Ms./Mr./Dr. NAME has applied for this position.
SAMPLE REFERENCE CHECK QUESTIONS
(Use questions that are relevant for the type of job being filled.)
- When did NAME work for your institution/organization/company?
- Could you confirm starting and ending employment dates?
- When did NAME leave?
- Why did NAME leave the company?
- What was her/his position? Can you describe the job responsibilities?
- Is s/he eligible to be rehired by your institution/organization/company?
- Did you evaluate NAME’s performance? Can you speak to his/her strong and weak points? What was noted as needing improvement during this performance review?
- What were the areas of concern you had with NAME’s job performance?
- Did NAME supervise others? If I spoke to those individuals, how do you think they would describe NAME’s leadership style?
- Can you describe a time when NAME experienced a conflict with another member of your team? How was it resolved?
- Can you describe NAME’s experience working as a member of a team? As a leader of a team?
- What did graduate students say about NAME’s willingness to providing coaching and guidance?
- How would describe NAME’s writing skills? What types of communications did NAME write (formal/informal, expository/persuasive, memos, letters, project implementation plans, position papers, analysis/reports, etc.)?
- From your perspective how well "connected" is NAME and how does s/he form strategic relationships with others?
- Describe NAME’s ability to communicate, coach and work with others.
- Describe NAME’s flexibility and ability to when presented with new ideas or assignments?
- How did NAME’s keep current with changing trends in your industry/discipline?
- How would you describe NAME’s skills working with quantitative data (is good with numbers, detecting trends/relationships, overall picture as well as details)?
- How would you describe NAME’s
- work ethic?
- commitment to the job and organization?
- How would you describe NAME’s communications style with
- Graduate Students
- Staff Colleagues
- Academic Colleagues
- What were NAME’s greatest professional contributions to your organization?
- Would you rehire NAME today?
- Is there anything else you think I should know about NAME’s skills, abilities or job performance?