Employee Transitions

During periods of diminishing resources, administrators and managers must examine all programs and services for their ability to achieve divisional and departmental mission and goals. Often these choices lead to a realignment of resources that often results in elimination of services and staff. This information will focus on how to integrate business needs with policy requirements. 


Making Sound Staffing Decisions

Any supervisor considering the layoff or non-renewal of an employee should contact the appropriate Sr. HR Partner. Your partner will help you ensure that the process is managed correctly by learning about the background of the employee, discussing with you the reason for the non-renewal, and providing guidance on the process and the necessary forms and documentation to proceed.

Are you looking for retirement forms? Visit the Road Ahead website.


Contract Non-renewal FAQ

Contact your HR Partner for assistance with calculating non-renewal deadlines.

A non-renewal is the conclusion of a contract for appointed personnel.

A written notice of non-renewal will issued based on the Chapter of Service. The most common notice obligation will be 90 days. Please contact your HR Partner to determine the appropriate notice obligations and obtain the appropriate template(s).

Yes. Appointed personnel may have their current contract non-renewed, with the appropriate written notification based on the Chapter of Service, and then have a new contract issued with a reduction in FTE.

Verbal notification may be given. However, the written notice of non-renewal is required and the written notice must meet the notice obligation requirement set forth in the Chapter of Service.

Appointed personnel who earn annual leave (vacation) will be paid any unused annual leave days, up to the amount earned for one year of service. The amount earned in one year of service is prorated based on the FTE and appointment length (fiscal or academic). Review the UHAP policy.​

Retiring employees may qualify for Retiree Accumulated Sick Leave (RASL). Get more information on RASL.

Sick leave is not paid out upon separation of service.

Employees who separate from the University will have the opportunity to continue their health benefits by paying both the employer and the employee portion of the benefit premium through COBRA. A COBRA health plan allows employees to continue their benefits for up to 18 months after leaving an employer. Contact HR Solutions to learn more.

Visit the How Job Change Or Separation Affects Your Benefits page for more information.

Employees will have several options regarding their Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or their Optional Retirement Plan (ORP). These may include leaving the account intact, rolling it over to another retirement plan, requesting a refund of contributions, or, if eligible, to retire. Contact HR Solutions to learn more.

Visit the How Job Change Or Separation Affects Your Benefits page for more information.

Yes. If the employee is selected for the new position and starts that position prior to the end of their contract, it is considered a transfer. If an employee’s contract period has already ended and then they are hired into a new University position, it is considered a rehire. All open positions at the University are listed talent.arizona.edu. Applications are only accepted online.