The University of Arizona logo

Short-Term Disability Insurance - FAQs

General Questions

When should I file my short-term disability claim?

On receiving your leave paperwork, Human Resources Benefits will send you instructions for filing a claim. You may file a claim by telephone or online following your actual last day of work. The carriers cannot accommodate anticipatory claims.

How will I receive my payments?

Upon approval, the carrier will send a weekly benefit payment directly to the address you provide on your claim form.

How long does it take to process a claim?

Please allow up to ten business days for a claim to be processed.

Will any taxes be deducted from my weekly benefit check?

No. Because you have already paid payroll taxes on the premium, no federal or state income tax is due on the benefit received. The insurance company will not deduct taxes from your weekly benefit check, nor will they mail you a W-2 at the end of the year.

Can I receive short-term disability payments if I am also receiving sick or vacation pay?

This depends on the insurance carrier you have elected. Unum benefits are not offset by any other paid leave. The Hartford benefits are offset by sick or vacation pay.

How long can I receive short-term disability benefits?

The maximum benefit period is 26 weeks for Unum and 22–26 weeks for The Hartford.

What should I do if it appears my condition could become a long-term disability (i.e., 6 months or more)?

It is advantageous to file a long-term disability claim as early as the third month after the onset of disability. Allowing a 3-month processing window can increase the likelihood that your claim will be completed by the time your 6-month waiting period has been satisfied.

Can I also apply to receive compassionate transfer of leave contributions?

Yes. You are required to file a short-term disability claim first if you will also be applying for Compassionate Transfer of Leave. See for additional information. 

Don't see your question? Ask it here.