Approved Personal Leave
Personal Leave of Absence Overview
The Personal Leave of Absence is an unpaid leave granted to employees whose requests are approved by their department. This leave may be granted for a period up to one calendar year, at the discretion of the employee's responsible administrator.
Full-benefits eligible classified staff are eligible for a personal leave when the following conditions are met:
- Satisfactory completion of the initial six-month probationary period.
- Exhaustion of all accrued vacation and sick time, if applicable.
- Assurance of the employee's intent to return to University employment at the expiration of the leave.
- Assurance by the employee that the Personal Leave of Absence has not been requested for the purpose of obtaining employment outside the University.
- Approval of the employee's request by the responsible administrator.
- Employee submits written application to their supervisor for Personal Leave of Absence, including the anticipated leave starting and ending dates.
- The responsible administrator notifies employee of their decision to approve or disapprove the leave request.
- If the leave request is approved, the Request for Extended Leave of Absence form is completed, signed by the responsible administrator and the employee and forwarded to the Human Resources Leave Management Team.
What Happens to Your Benefits?
- You may continue your health benefits by making arrangements with Human Resources to pay the employee premium for any such benefits.
- Following the start of your leave, you will receive a packet from Human Resources which will include:
- A form to waive, change or continue existing benefits;
- A bill with the itemized employee benefit cost as well as a payment schedule;
- Other helpful information
- Continuation of coverage is available through the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).