Life and Disability Insurance
Employer Paid or Subsidized
Employees who are eligible for limited or full benefits are automatically enrolled in
- Basic Life Insurance: $15,000 term insurance policy, $15,000 seat belt incentive
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance: $15,000 AD&D clause
Coverage is underwritten by Securian.
Long-Term Disability Insurance
Long-term disability insurance is a form of income protection that provides a portion of your salary in the event of a disabling illness or injury. A 6-month qualification period is required before benefits begin.
Enrollment in long-term disability insurance is automatic and mandatory as part of your retirement plan. Coverage under this plan is dependent upon the retirement plan you are participating in at the onset of disability.
For Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Members
- Your minimum monthly benefit is $50.00.
- Your LTD contribution is a post-tax contribution and is matched by the University. To find the current contribution rate, please visit https://www.azasrs.gov/content/contribution-rates
- Your provider is Broadspire Services Inc, (877) 232-0596.
- ASRS Member LTD Information
For Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) or Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS) Members
- Your minimum monthly benefit is $100.00.
- You do not pay for this benefit: it is 100% paid by the University.
- Your provider is MetLife, 866-232-0596.
- MetLife LTD Policy
- MetLife LTD Benefit Highlight Sheet
The long-term disability plan provides you with a monthly benefit to partially replace income lost during periods of total disability resulting from a covered injury or illness.
Generally, the monthly benefit is 66.67% of your basic monthly earnings.
Benefit payments will be offset by the following, if applicable:
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security Disability Benefits
- Social Security Retirement Benefits
- State Retirement Disability Benefits
- State Retirement Benefits
- "Other Income Benefits" outlined in the plan booklet
There is a waiting period of 6 consecutive months during which you must be continuously and totally disabled before long-term disability benefits begin.
Whenever possible, it is wise to file a long-term disability claim as early as the third month after the onset of disability. Allowing a three-month processing window can increase the likelihood that your claim will be completed by the time your six-month waiting period has been satisfied.
See your plan summary booklet for duration of benefits information.
Optional Employee-Paid Benefits
Supplemental Life Insurance
Employees have the option to purchase supplemental term life insurance and dependent life insurance. The employee pays the full cost of premiums through payroll deduction. Coverage is available through Securian or The Hartford Life Insurance.
Domestic Partner Life Insurance
Employees may insure their domestic partner's life for $5,000 through The Hartford only. (Only spouses are eligible for coverage with Securian.)
Short-term disability insurance provides income during the 6-month waiting period before long-term disability benefits begin.
- Enrollment in short-term disability insurance is voluntary, and premiums are fully employee-paid.
- In some cases, there is a waiting period during which you must be continuously and totally disabled before benefits begin.
- The program provides you with a weekly benefit designed to partially replace income lost during periods of total disability resulting from a covered non-industrial injury, pregnancy, or illness.
The University of Arizona offers its benefits-eligible employees a choice of two short-term disability plans: MetLife and Unum.
Comparison of Short-Term Disability Plans
- Video Comparing Short-Term Disability Plans
- Chart Comparing Short-Term Disability Plans and Rates (2021 & 2022)
Short-Term Disability Premium Calculator (2022 & 2023)
|Benefit||pays 70% of your base weekly earnings||pays 662/3% of your base weekly earnings|
three options (A, B & C), with maximum weekly benefits up to:
|Up to $897.43 maximum per week|
|Offset||May receive benefits even if using paid sick/vacation time||Benefits are reduced by amount of paid sick/vacation time.|
|Contact Information||Unum, (800) 858-6843||