Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) Health Plans
2021 Medical Plan Options:
Learn more about the plan options for 2021.
The following plans are not available to employees wishing to enroll a domestic partner. For information on UA Alternative Plans offering domestic partner coverage, click here.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan Information
It is important to review benefits information, including plan comparisons, prior to making your medical, dental, and vision insurance selections.
Employees who are not enrolling a domestic partner as a dependent may choose from these options:
- EPO Plan: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, Cigna, or UnitedHealthcare
- PPO Plan: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, or UnitedHealthcare
- Health Savings Account Option (HSAO) Plan: Aetna
If you elect any Benefit Options medical plan, MedImpact will be the network you use for pharmacy benefits. Enrollment is automatic.
|Routine Preventive Health Care||$0|
|- Primary Care Physician (PCP)||$20|
|- Doctor on Demand (telehealth)||$20|
|- Mental Health Provider||$40|
|- Therapist (occupational, physical, respiratory, speech)||$40|
|- Other Specialist||$40|
|Hospital & Outpatient Services|
|- Urgent Care||$75|
|- Emergency Room||$200|
|- Radiology (CAT, MRI, PET)||$100|
|- Outpatient Surgery||$100*|
|- Inpatient Hospital Admission (not applicable for maternity)||$250|
* Copays for physician's or surgeon's fees also apply.
|Quantity||Generic||Preferred Brand Name||Non-Preferred Brand Name|
|Retail 30 Days||$15||$40||$60|
|Retail 90 Days||$37.50||$100||$150|
|Mail Order 90 Days||$30||$80||$120|
Virtual Office Visits
All the medical networks in ADOA offer Doctor on Demand. Through your mobile device, tablet, or computer, you can have a face-to-face video visit with a physician to diagnose, treat, and prescribe for common medical issues. You can download the app from the App Store or Google Play, or access care via DoctorOnDemand.com.
- For the EPO: Under Aetna Open Access Plans, select "Aetna Select (SM) (Open Access)" as your plan.
- For the PPO or HSAO: under Aetna Open Access Plans, select "Aetna Choice POS II (Open Access)" as your plan.
- Select the Blue Card EPO/PPO network if searching for an out-of-state provider.
- For the EPO: Select “Choice” as your plan.
- For the PPO: select “Options PPO” as your plan.
Mental Health Provider Searches
Alternate Employee ID for Health Insurance
Your alternate ID is a 9-digit number that is used as identification for ADOA-sponsored insurance. Your alternate ID is different from your EmplID. To learn your Health Insurance ID, visit UAccess and select Employee/Manager Self Service > Employee Main Home Page > University Benefits. The Alternate ID number will appear below your name on the Benefits Summary.
If you are traveling outside the United States, all ADOA and UA medical insurance plans cover only emergency treatment for accident or sudden illness. There are a variety of insurance companies that offer international insurance ranging from short-term coverage for vacations to long-term policies for extended stays abroad. A few of these options are listed below. Make sure to research the available coverage options and prices to ensure that you have chosen an insurance plan and a provider that fit your needs.
- GeoBlue Travel Medical & International Health Insurance
- Gateway Plans
- All Aboard Benefits
- International Medical Group
UA employees traveling on University business are covered for liability, work-related injuries, and emergency assistance. For details, as well as information on required preparation for international travel, see Risk Management's International Travel Insurance page.
University of Arizona employees who are not enrolling a domestic partner have two dental insurance options available to them through the Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) Benefit Options.
- Restricted to in-network dental providers
- Reduced costs for services (fixed co-payments)
- No provider networks in these states: Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, and the Virgin Islands
How to Register online with Cigna Dental HMO (NOTE: You must first elect Cigna Dental HMO during your new hire benefits enrollment or annual open enrollment.)
- May see any licensed dentist
- Preventive services not subject to annual deductible
- Restorative services subject to annual deductible, then plan pays a percentage of post-deductible expenses for basic and major restorative services.
University of Arizona employees who are not enrolling a domestic partner may select the Avesis vision plan available to them through the Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) Benefit Options.
- You may choose from a participating network provider or a non-provider.
- Participating network providers are contracted with Avesis to provide services at a reduced rate for Avesis members.
- Co-payments, deductibles, or coinsurance fees may be charged when services are used.
- When using out-of-network providers, you must pay the provider and submit an itemized statement to Avesis for reimbursement of covered expenses.