Extended Active Military Leave
Eligible employees who are voluntarily or involuntarily placed on extended active duty with the National Guard or the U.S. Armed Forces are placed on Extended Active Military Leave. This is an unpaid leave in a manner consistent with applicable Arizona Revised Statutes and the Federal Veterans Reemployment Act. Extended active duty is defined as a period of more than 30 calendar days.
- Regular benefits-eligible employees (not employed in a temporary or "brief or non-recurrent position" with no reasonable expectation of continuing employment).
- Advise your department head, manager, and/or immediate supervisor as soon as you are notified that you have been called to active duty or have enlisted in any branch of the armed services. Give them as much information as you have about the date you are expected to report and the anticipated duration, if you know, of your absence from University employment. If the circumstances of your call to active duty do not permit advance notice, please advise your manager or supervisor as soon as possible.
- Complete an "Extended Leave of Absence Form," indicating on the "reason for requesting leave" line that you are a reservist or a member of the national guard who has been called to active duty or that you have enlisted in a branch of the U.S. armed forces.
- Active duty orders shall accompany requests for such leave.
- Submit the completed, signed Extended Leave of Absence form to your supervisor or departmental payroll representative for processing. Completion of this form serves as your "notice" that you are entering active duty service and preserves your rights under Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
What Happens to Your Benefits?
- As long as you are on paid status (e.g., vacation time), deductions will be taken from your paycheck.
- Upon entering non-pay status, you may continue health benefits by making arrangements with the Division of Human Resources to the employee cost of any such benefits.
- Following the leave start date, you will receive a packet in the mail from the Human Resources Leave Management Team which includes:
- A form to waive, change or continue the existing benefits;
- A bill with the itemized employee benefit cost and payment schedule; and
- Other helpful information
- Continuation of coverage after conclusion of unpaid leave is available through the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA).
- You have the right to elect to continue existing employer-based health plan coverage for you and your dependents through COBRA for up to 24 months while in the military.
Reporting Back to Work
- Time limits for reporting back to work depend on the length of military service.
- Refer to the Policy for more details.
Military Differential Pay Information
University of Arizona employees who are called to active military duty during an emergency as reservists or members of the National Guard may be eligible for Military Differential Pay under State of Arizona legislation effective June 30, 2004, signed by the governor on May 9, 2005. If you believe you may be eligible to receive Military Differential Pay, please see your Business Manager or contact Human Resources at 520-621-3660.
Your Rights under USERRA
- Please refer to the USERRA Guide.